Friday, May 18, 2012

First things first...

I have been thinking about which aspects of my life are unsatisfactory, and there are a lot of them:

My weight/health
My job/income
My debt/bad credit
My relationship
My overabundance of THINGS
My lack of simplicity
My stress level
I'm sure there are more...

I have decided to start with my current job situation.  Right now, I'm an "independent contractor" for Hot Diggity! Dog Walking & Pet Sitting.  I walk dogs, watch dogs, pet dogs, play with dogs, pick up dog poo, and drive all over hell and gone.  I really enjoy working with dogs and being outside.  The poo doesn't bother me.  What I don't like is the driving and the schedule, which I don't know until the day before.  Every evening, I get an email with the next day's schedule.  Makes it really hard to plan anything or have any kind of life.  The driving is getting out of hand.  I drive anywhere from 40-100 miles per day and spend about $100 per week in gas... and I drive a Honda Civic.  Last week, I was rear-ended while on the job.  Since I am supposedly an independent contractor, I do not get any worker's compensation.  However, after doing some research, I think I am wrongly classified as an independent contractor.  I got in contact with a lawyer to help me sort it all out.  More on that later.

After my accident, my doctor told me to take some time off, and I got a lot of flack from the office for it.  The attitude about my absence made me decide that all the driving and crappy schedule aren't really worth it.
I have applied for 3 positions since I have been on medical leave:
-Shift work at a semiconductor manufacturing plant
-Work from home doing tech support
-Work from home doing reservation sales

As of today, I have heard nothing from the plant, found out I am ineligible for the tech support because I have wireless internet, not FiOS, and I have completed a really long assessment for the reservation sales job.  I think they are really interested in me! YAY!

The reservations position will enable me to work from home (wherever that may be) and start paying down my debts and improving my credit.  It will also reduce stress AND my carbon footprint!

I have also been researching online revenue income, and I published my first article:
nomadfeet.hubpages.com

I have read that with time and effort, I can make a living publishing internet articles and reaping the rewards through ad revenue.  We will see how that goes.  In the meantime, I guess I'll continue working for the man.

Now... what do I do about the rest of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment