Friday, August 17, 2018

Grief is a funny thing...

... It doesn't seem to matter how many times I go through the grief process, it never gets any easier.


I don't generally write other people's names in my blog to protect the innocent.  
Or the guilty, depending.
But I'm breaking my rule today.

Andrea Diane (Pratt) Hockett was my best friend for almost 20 years.

She passed away last year, the day after her 36th birthday... and I still feel lost without her.  She was my ear, my shoulder, my hug in the middle of the night.  Or any time.  We kept each other's spirits up in times of crisis and laughed about stupid shit when times were good.  She was always there for me and I was always there for her.

Okay, we laughed about stupid shit regardless of whatever our current situation was.  There were always LOLs to be had.  And orange kittehs.  And rainbows.  And techno music.

I made a playlist out of all the songs she shared with me.  It's pretty awesome, but then we always shared the same taste in music.

Even now, I have a hard time coming up with something eloquent to honor the impact she had on my life.  She meant so much to me I hardly know where to begin.  All I can think about are the missed opportunities and the memories to come that she won't be a part of.

I've spent the last couple nights drinking beer, crying, and scrolling through her messages.  
Thank you, Facebook, for saving all of it.  Because there won't be any more.  

I love you, Andie.  
I miss you every day.
Thank you for bringing colour to my life.  
It's just not the same without you.


No comments:

Post a Comment