Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Letting go

14 years ago today, my sister, Jen, was involved in a tragic car accident that ended her life after only 18 years.

After 14 years of grieving, I am finally through mourning her death.

I often wonder who she would be today had she survived, and I am certain that she would have accomplished so much.  She was smart, funny, and beautiful.  She was focused, driven, and on a path that would have lead her to help a great number of people.

I never thought the anniversary of her death would come without the unbearable sense of loss, but it has.  If my faith in God is so strong, how can I continue to mourn her death?  I know she is in a peaceful place, full of beauty and free from pain.

She is loved and remembered by many, and I will always miss her, but rather than focus on the tragic circumstances of her death, why not remember her as a bright and beautiful young woman?

Perhaps I am a little callous, but it is time to let go of the grief and embrace the wonderful memories I have of her.  I know she is not gone.

I can hold fast to the great truth her death has allowed me to see:

If the good Lord wants to call me home, He will do so, no matter if I am on a leisurely drive, on a tiny plane heading toward some remote destination, or fast asleep in my own bed.

Thank you for showing me that I have nothing to fear.
I love you, Jen.
I'll see you on the flipside.

<3


No comments:

Post a Comment